Thursday, May 22, 2008

May

Here's what's been taking up my time since the great weekend at Bodega Bay.

I take lessons and dance at Spotlight Dance Studio.  Twice a year the studio puts on a showcase and the students and teachers dance choreographed pieces.  One is in December and low key-- some people say it is a practice for the one in May.  Last fall, Paulette asked me if I wanted to dance with The Girlfriends; a group of eight women from thirties to sixties.  I said OK.  One of the teachers choreographed a routine and we set out to learn it and get the moves in our muscle memory.  We danced in two shows in December.

After the December shows, I thought but, didn't say aloud, "I'm not going to do that again."  I felt clumsy.  Then in March someone said, "We have to start practicing for the May Showcase."  I didn't say anything, I showed up for practice.  Our music was "Get on Your Feet" by Gloria Estafan and it was a FAST cha cha.  Paulette agreed to some extra coaching and practice time with me.  Inspired by the lyrics,  "Get on your feet...Get up and make it happen, and ...deep in your heart is the answer that will pull you through"  I did get up and make it happen.

  The entire week May 4-9 was taken up with tech and dress rehearsals and the performances.  It was a great week.  We performed on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings and a Saturday matinee. A group of my friends came to see the shows.  I am so glad I did it.


NOW the WNBA season has started.  We, the Sacramento Monarchs, won both the pre-season and opening games.  And last night the Seattle Storm blew us away.  We will get them next time.

4 comments:

Shirley said...

ARe ther photos of these dance teams doing their numbers?

Janell said...

That sounds like great fun. Aren't you glad you stayed in it?

Myrnagj said...

Yes! there are four videos (one for each performance) There are stills on a website that I cannot remember right now.

It was great fun and I'm so glad I stayed.

LaDawn said...

We need that website!!!!