Thursday, August 7, 2008

Last day.

This evening we will be in Victoria, Vancouver, British Columbia.  We are going to the Burchart gardens.  Something everyone we talked to said not to miss.  Right now we are sailing along through fog.  Mostly it is cold outside but comfortable inside.  We are 120 nautical miles to Victoria.  The captain just said so.

We walked the deck for breast cancer.  It is the Holland American chosen charity and they have raised $1,000,000 in the last year.  It was a little cold but fun to walk the 3.2 miles.   Last night at our formal dinner they brought out baked Alaska for dessert.  The dining room staff walked around the dining room with the Alaska with sparklers while marching music played.  The chef and his crew came out for bow.  We were eating with a couple from Liberty, Indiana.  She had just retired from 28 years of teaching and he changed from teaching to investment business in the 70's.  It was the fourth night we sat with people we didn't know and there was at least one teacher in each group.

Yesterday we walked all over, well almost all over the port at Ketchikan, Alaska.  It sits at the base of a mountain and houses built on the mountain side are reached by long stairways.  It is a most interesting way of getting around.  We have taken a lot of pictures but I choose not to use our time to post them since we get charged for internet connection.  I wasn't going to pay but I wanted to write something while on the ship.  We have both taken a lot of pictures.  

Here's to BUCKSNORT coffee.

Sue:  I'd go again.

2 comments:

Janell said...

I hope you'll post a good slideshow when you get home.

One of my fellow Toastmasters is leaving this week for an Alaskan cruise. From the places she named, it sounds like the exact same one you are on. If I went, I'd probably be so obsessed with the food, I'd miss all the great scenery. This is why I like to travel vicariously.

Shirley said...

This all sounds so great.