Friday, November 7, 2008

Election

The clear sky and slightly crisp air on Election day put everyone in a very good mood.  I walked to my poling place.  There was a line of about twenty-five people.  Everyone seemed ready to party.  I voted and on my way back home a woman stopped her car and asked if I needed a ride. I claimed my free tall coffee from Starbucks.  

The world watched us on Tuesday and I believe we can be proud of ourselves.  Thank you, LaDawn for your words from France.

I want to share this story about my friend who has lost her ability to communicate  due to rapidly progressive aphasia.  She lives in a memory facility.  She has worn an Obama for president button, daily, for the last two years.  Legally she cannot vote.  However it was her wish to vote.  Her daughter talked with the memory care director at the facility and it was arranged for Elinore to 'vote'.  She was given an absentee ballot and voted for her candidate.  According to her daughter she was on 'cloud nine' today because she had voted for Obama in this historic election.


3 comments:

Shirley said...

Nice story. I had to wait in a line to vote because I went right at 9AM. People were mostly just kinda quiet and cordial. But we were pretty much split in half by how we voted in this county.
We thought we might be able to throw that one electoral vote to Obama, but didn't make it.. Nebraska has a funny clause -- we have 5 electoral votes and the 2 go with the majority, and the 3 congressional districts go with the majority in each district.

Shirley said...

Hey -- guess what -- the absentee and other votes are counted now and we did score the one for Obama!

LaDawn said...

Good story. I can't remember the last time people were so energised to vote and truly felt like each vote counted. How inspring this is to the rest of the world. And you are welcome!