Monday, March 26, 2007

Six things about me

1. I love my post-retirement career. I teach English as a Second Language (ESL) to an adult class in Dixon, CA. fifteen out of eighteen students are from Mexico, one from Ecuador and one from Russia (Well two but one has a new job and comes only occasionally) They are wonderful. I tell them they must become bilingual so they can teach me Spanish when all residents of California are required to speak a second language. I am often embarrassed that in this country we do not require a second language. Well maybe that's not all about me.

2. I love to write fiction and non fiction and dream, only dream, of publishing something. I have a new idea every day for a new story.

3. I have two file drawers devoted to B&W negatives and color slides, everything I need to start painting in watercolor, and enough art ideas to keep me busy for thirty years.

4. I relearned something about myself yesterday: I like baginning things and the most difficult part of any project is finishing it. It became clear during the last mile of the five-mile hike. I wanted to sit down and blink my eyes and be back at the car. It wasn't going to happen. Part of my group was in front and part behind me--there were five of us--and I walked alone on the trail. I felt the downhill stress on my thighs (Hoping it would make them smaller but knowing it was only going to make them sore.) My mind played with stories I want to write, art i dream of making and the next hike I'm going to take. Step by step I made it back to the car and felt great. Now I want to translate that to the dozens of projects I have started. "I will be like the postage stamp and stick to one thing until I get there." Josh Billings from the inside of a bottle cap on ice tea.

5. I love the WNBA in general and the Sacramento Monarchs (2005 world champions) in particular.

6. I am known in my circle of friends here in California for my road trips.

1 comment:

Janell said...

i can relate to the 'unfinished business' point - must run in the family. Mom always had to put in the hem of anything I ever sewed. I didn't know you were an aspiring painter. You're known in this part of the country for your road trips as well. Thanks for responding!
janell