Monday, August 20, 2007

Difficult questions

Difficult but thought prevoking.

6. The best and worst about being a woman?

The best: Growing a new life. I wish I had been as aware of what was going on as women are today. Of course that means knowing all the dangers as well as the joys. Being a mother, regardless of all the work. Then the reward of becoming a grandmother. Not so much work. Dressing up in a dress or skirt or even pants. Men don't get to wear nice dresses, usually.

The worst: Inequality in pay and choices of vocation or career. This is better for women today. There is also the bad old double standard. I had a list once of how different actions are positive for men and negative for women. A single man is eligible and a single woman is desperate. With gray hair-- He looks distinguished and she looks old. Speaking of old; that's when women become invisible.

That's enough of that quiz.

Janell, I know as a young girl playing with dolls; I seldom thought of them having a dad. Delaine tormented me with the phrase, "You'll never get a husband if... And I didn't really care. I remember standing in the hallway of the place we lived in Hawaii and having two thoughts: Tony is an alcoholic. If this marriage ends, I will not marry again. It wasn't that I would be single; it was that I was not going to be married.

3 comments:

Sue said...

If he gets emotional, he's aggresive. If she gets emotional its PMS. The list just goes on.
Sue

Shirley said...

I am really bothered by that invisible thing.

LaDawn said...

Thanks for taking part!