Thursday, January 3, 2008

Jury duty etc.

Here's how it went.  On Dec. 31 I decided to call the information number and find out what was happening at the courthouse.  My number was not mentioned.  Like a blinding flash it hit me that Dec. 31 was my first day--the day I had to report. YIKES!!  I brushed my teeth, finished dressing and was on my way by 8:30am  I arrived at the courthouse about 9:00am  At the security check-in I said I thought I was late.  Don't worry, they'll wait.  said the uniformed guard.  

Upstairs in the jury room I stopped at the window and said I'm sorry I'm late.  The woman handed me eight typed pages.  You missed orientation.  Read this and come back.  I obeyed.  Back at the window after reading the pages the woman said,  Your group was cancelled.  Do you want to stay anyhow?.  Sure, why not, I nodded.  She scanned my card and said Have a seat.  So I did.

I read for a while, looked around for coffee and found the machine.  I heard other latecomers try to tell their long stories and be accepted.  

I drank coffee and kept reading.  At 11:30am they announced there would be no cases tried today and everyone was dismissed.  We were instructed to make lines to get our proof of jury duty and we could go home.  We were thanked for fulfilling our obligation for a year.  Maybe next time I'll get into a courtroom.

TODAY,  Jan. 3  I had lunch with a friend I hadn't talked to in about two years.  We are all caught up and promised each other to not wait so long.  I got home before the first of three winter storms arrived.  There was a lot of rain and some wind.  The second storm sounds worse.  There are blizzard warnings in the mountains, not just snow warnings.  The winds might get to tropical storm or hurricane winds in the valley.  Sacramento is in the valley.  I can't remember what the third storm is suppose to do and there is rain on the next seven squares of the weather forecast.

About the  photo on my previous post.  Who made this sculpture?  That's a better question.
California artist.  Taught at UC Davis.  Lived in Davis.  Did  some controversial art.  His work is one of two or three California artists that I can recognize.  Enough info Shirley?

7 comments:

LaDawn said...

Well you gave it a really good go! I am proud of you. So many people just try to get out of it without even considering what effect this has. Maybe you'll get lucky next year!

Wish we were having a blizzard here....just 1....just for a day or two....

Sue said...

I have been called to jury duty twice. Once in Burt county a long time ago. Didn't get called to be on the jury. Just so happend our cousin Tom Connealy was also called. He did get to serve.

The second time was two years ago. I was to report the day Mom passed away. I was quickly excused without any question when I checked in.

Sue

Myrnagj said...

The blizzard is only in the mountains. We had wind 45mph gusting to 60mph from about 3AM to noon today. My bedroom screen made a bumping noise, I tried to pull it tight but at 4:30 I heard it blow away.
There is also rain. Channel 3 has had storm coverage all day. Even the soap operas were rescheduled to 1:00am. Flooding possible in some areas. Trees have fallen on cars and houses and roofs have been blown off. I'm glad it is not snow here in the valley. We just don't know how to deal with the white stuff on our streets.

I80 over the mountains has been closed off and on all day.

Power was out here at my house for 3 hours. I found batteries for my boom box and my flashlights work. The next storm will be here sometime tomorrow.

No one taking a guess at one of my favorite sculptors?

Shirley said...

I am guessing your sculptor is the "egghead" guy. Robert Arneson?

Myrnagj said...

Shirley you're right....It is one of Robert Arneson's many self portraits. I found this one on a walk in Benicia, CA. in November.

LaDawn said...

that is some storm! Holey Moley!

LaDawn said...

PS Shirley: that is impressive!