Monday, June 2, 2008

Our first full day together

Tonight Shae is too tired to type her own entry.  Since we read Animals live in Trees she has not asked for anything, no water, no I forgot to tell you something.  I peeked in and she is sound asleep.  WOW.

We went to work this morning.  She followed me around as I opened the classrooms and got ready for class.  I took her to the babysitter, Maria Paz.  (Maria takes care of our students' children.)  After about 45 minutes Maria came to get me.  Shae was afraid and didn't want to stay because all of the kids were speaking Spanish.  So she joined me with my students in the computer lab.  I gave her the English Rosetta Stone disc and showed her how to listen and click and for the next 45 minutes she clicked away.  "I really like that disc." she said as we made our way to break time.  In the classroom she was a hit with the five ladies who were in class.  (You can tell it is the end of school--attendance is very low.  Until the party.)  The ladies practiced their English by asking her questions.  

After class we went to COSTCO.  "Are we in Reno?"  She asked as we walked toward the doors.  "No this is Woodland."  It struck me that children are growing up without being able to tell they have crossed a state line.  And they are seldom more than twenty from a favorite, or at least familiar, fast food store.  We had COSTCO Pizza for lunch.

After a twenty minute rest for both of us we hit the swimming pool for an hour.  Washed the pool water out of our hair and set off for Longs Drugs.  I walked and Shae rode her bicycle.  For me. alone, it is a ten minute walk each way; including our ten minutes inside we were gone about  an hour.

After dinner we started watching ANNIE--too many things to explain so we watched Shrek one.  She is not old enough for ANNIE.  I found I didn't like it very much anyhow.


3 comments:

Shirley said...

I never liked Annie much either.

The image of your students practicing English by questioning Shae delights me.

Davey1dr said...

Mom it sounds like she is having a great time so far. You know you're
gonna get sick of Shrek.

cdroses said...

I agree about kids not knowing what state they are in. On the trip to Montana, Kendra kept asking if we were still in Nebraska. (She stopped about the time we hit the mountains! lol) Both girls have taken a long time to fully understand that Lincoln and Norfolk are in the same state.

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time with Shae!