Thursday, January 1, 2009

An end and a beginning

  Thoughts about the end of 2008
1. Secular Christmas:  
        Black Friday should be discontinued.  Someone died.
The commercial with dancing corkscrews wearing red and white Santa hats singing Bev Mo lulia.  Sick.  (This may have been a California thing)

2. Keeping Christ in Christmas.  
      Please bring back 'swaddling clothes" for Jesus.  Dressed in cloth doesn't work for me.  
     Glad Tidings is better than good news. 
      Sore afraid is better than terrified or as one pastor said 'So scared they peed their pants." 

The list could go longer but I have some positive things to say.
1,  Going to the Nutcracker with Shae and Skyler and Robin.
2. Shae and Skyler playing in the fresh snow until their hands were cold, cheeks rosy and a very short snowman decorated the yard.
3. Christmas eve service ending with candles and Silent Night.
4.  The quiet that falls over the city when most businesses close for Christmas day.
5.  Cards, family photos and newsletters.

Looking forward.
It's a new year with 364 fresh new days ahead.  I spent the first one having brunch with friends and then a long walk under foggy skies.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody.  

4 comments:

Janell said...

I think the dancing corkscrews is a Calif. thing. I think I'm glad I haven't seen that one.

I agree with your keeping Christ in Christmas thoughts. I love the old King J. language. It's so poetic.

Happy New Year to you, too!

Janell said...

PS What's Black Friday?

Sue said...

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Janell, Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving when the stores are supposed to see profit (black ink). The ridiculous idea of opening at 5 am with really "great bargains" is one of the dumbest things anyone ever thought up.
Not that the worst had happened maybe they will rethink this idea.

cdroses said...

Finally had time to read others' blogs, and catch up.

Enjoyed the Christ in Christmas comments, and agree with them.

Wishing you a great 2009!